Call to Order – Chairman White called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Board members present were J. B. White, Mitch McEwen, and Bob Harris; staff members present were Marcie Seleb, and Joyce Hosey; representing the Jackson Progress Argus was Stewart Voegtlin, and representing Jenkinsburg was Mayor Ken Rooks. Board member Harvey Norris joined the meeting after a few minutes.
Opening Prayer – Mr. McEwen opened the meeting with a prayer.
Approval of Minutes from Previous Meetings – Mr. McEwen made a motion to dispense with the reading of the minutes from the February 12, 2008 meeting and approve the same. This was seconded by Mr. Harris and approved unanimously.
Use Stark Elevated Tank – Web Logic Internet – This discussion was tabled until a later date.
State Water Use Requirements Update – Ms. Seleb reported that in February 2008, actual usage was 101% of the calculated Winter 2007-2008 use. This is the first time that the combined Authority/Jackson/Jenkinsburg system was not between 90-100% of Winter 2007-2008 use. This will likely result in a violation notice from the Environmental Protection Division (EPD).
Ms. Seleb submitted a plan to meet the reduction requirements to EPD in February. This includes: adoption of conservation water rates, an after-hours watering violation posse, promotion of low water use development standards, and making materials available for residential self-audits.
Beginning in April, the State’s use limits will be based on 10% less than actual usage from April thru September 2007. This will give the system a higher baseline number.
Seleb also advised of a meeting with Georgia Environmental Protection Division on March 28, 2008 to prove that conservation greater than 10% is not necessary in Butts County. She presented gaging station information that shows flow vs. gage height in the Ocmulgee River over the last ten years. This data will be further analyzed to develop a “worst case” scenario for EPD.
Illustrative graphs are attached and made a part of these minutes.
Operation Statistics – Ms. Seleb went over the water and sewer statistics for the month of February 2008. Water billing for the month was $145,223 with an active customer base of 5,046. Sewer billing for the month was $19,491 with an active customer base of 125. This is the lowest billing since November 2006 and resulted primarily in a reduction of water use by the Georgia Diagnostic Prison.
The average daily water pumped to the Authority, Jackson and Jenkinsburg from the Ocmulgee and Stewart plants were 1.97 MGD, with maximum of 1.78 MGD. The rolling 12-month average loss of 10.3%. The total amount of water pumped in January 2008 per plant was: Ocmulgee – 52 MG; Stewart – 5 MG. The average wastewater treated at the Bucksnort Ranch LAS was .128/.300 MGD with a maximum 7-day effluent of .222/.370 MGD. The new spray fields were used for the first time this past weekend. A copy of these statistics is attached and made a part of these minutes.
- Shady Lane – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that this week the crew will find a stopping point in the Pineview upgrade leaving only Shady Lane to finish.
- Old South River Road Project – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that the crew will be moving to the Old South River Road project next. This is a 700-ft project that should take three to four days that the developer has already paid.
- Kinard Mill/Towaliga Church/Evans/Ridgeway Roads (part) – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that pipe, plans and locates are ready for the expansion at Kinard Mill/Towaliga Church/Evans/Ridgeway Roads (part) and will begin within the next two weeks.
- West Butts Transmission Main – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that the bid date for the West Butts Transmission Main has been postponed for two weeks until March 27, 2008 due the original advertising not meeting State time requirements.
- Waffle House Sewer Main – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that bids opened in early February for the Waffle House Sewer Main, but the start date and pricing are still unknown.
Financial Report – Ms. Seleb went over the financial summary for Water & Sewer Operations and SPLOST through February 2008. Because February water and sewer billing did not post until March 1, revenue through February is slightly lower than projected by budget. This will rectify itself on the March income statements. All expenses are within budget. Ms. Seleb pointed out that interest rates paid on Authority money market accounts are tied to the 90-day Treasury average and had dropped to 2.86% in February.
Board members also reviewed combined balance sheets for all funds for the month of February 2008. A copy of this financial summary and combined balance sheets is attached and made attached and made a part of these minutes.
Executive Session to Discuss Personnel & Land Acquisition – A motion was made by Mr. White to adjourn into Executive Session to discuss Personnel and Land Acquisition. This was seconded by Mr. McEwen and approved unanimously.
A motion was made by Mr. Norris to return to the Board meeting to vote on topics discussed in Executive Session. This was seconded by Mr. McEwen and approved unanimously.
- A motion was made by Mr. Norris to hire Teresa Swan as Class III Water Treatment Operator. This was seconded by Mr. McEwen and approved unanimously.
- A motion was made by Mr. Harris to proceed with getting an updated appraisal on the 3.19 acres currently under the option to purchase with Butts Holdings, LLC. This was seconded by Mr. McEwen and approved unanimously.
- A motion was made by Mr. McEwen to proceed with the steps necessary to prepare for condemnation of the 3.19 acres currently under the option to purchase with Butts Holdings, LLC. This was seconded by Mr. Norris and approved by unanimously.
Review Bills Paid – Board members reviewed check registers for the month of February 2008. A copy of these check registers is attached and made a part of these minutes.
Adjourn – A motion was made by Mr. Norris to adjourn meeting at 7:20 p.m. This was seconded by Mr. McEwen and approved unanimously.