Call to Order – Chairman White called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Board members present were J. B. White, Mitch McEwen, Harvey Norris, Bob Harris and Wesley Keber; staff members present were Marcie Seleb, Joyce Hosey, Andre Thomas and Herbert Head; representing the Jackson Progress Argus was Stewart Voegtlin.
Opening Prayer – Mr. Norris opened the meeting with a prayer.
Approval of Minutes from Previous Meeting – Mr. Harris made a motion to dispense with the reading of the minutes from the May 13, 2008 meeting and approve the same. This was seconded by Mr. McEwen and approved unanimously.
Presentation of Gold & Platinum Awards – Ms. Seleb presented the Gold Award to Herbert Head for the Gerald L. “Buck” Stewart Water Treatment Plant in recognition of complete and consistent compliance during the year of 2007 – the plant’s first year back in operation since 1997.
- Ms. Seleb presented the Platinum Award to Herbert Head for the Ocmulgee River Water Treatment Plant in recognition of complete and consistent compliance during the year of 2007. This marks the Authority’s eighth consecutive year for the award.
- Ms. Seleb presented the Platinum Award to Andre Thomas for the Bucksnort Ranch Land Application System in recognition of complete and consistent compliance during the year of 2007. This marks the Authority’s eighth consecutive year for the award.
Resolution of Ridgeway Road Water Extension Issue – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that the combined total tap sales for Kinard Mill, Evans, Towaliga Church and Ridgeway Roads (East & West) is 51, an average of 10.6 taps per mile. The Board advised Ms. Seleb to continue with the extension and schedule the West end of Ridgeway behind the East.
Discussion of FY 2009 Budget – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that the Authority’s overall financial picture looks good despite the lagging economy. The Board discussed requests of each Water Authority unit for the upcoming fiscal year.
Ms. Seleb reported that based upon initial estimates, expenses for water operations in Fiscal Year 2009 will be $4.70 per 1000 gallons of water sold. The average customer using 5,000 gallons per month currently pays $23.25, or $4.65 per 1000 gallons.
A motion was made by Mr. Keber to raise the retail rate charged after the minimum from from $3.75 to $4.00 per 1,000 gallons. This will result in a $24.00 per month charge for the average customer, or $4.80 per 1000 gallons. This was seconded by Mr. Norris and approved unanimously.
A copy of all charts and lists used to illustrate the discussion are attached and made a part of these minutes.
Consider IDA Agreement for Riverview Park Expansion – The board considered an agreement to install water and gravity sewer to the property line of the 300-acre parcel off Short Road being marketed by the Butts County Industrial Authority (IDA). The IDA is requesting that the Authority install this infrastructure and accept payment with interest within 30 days of water and gravity sewer project completion, or the land closing, which ever comes last. Motion to enter into the agreement by Mr. McEwen. This was seconded by Mr. Norris and approved unanimously. A copy of this agreement is attached and made a part of these minutes.
Operation Statistics – Ms. Seleb went over the water and sewer statistics for the month of May 2008. Water billing for the month was $159,027 with an active customer base of 5,058. Sewer billing for the month was $20,503 with an active customer base of 125.
The average daily water pumped to the Authority, Jackson and Jenkinsburg from the Ocmulgee and Stewart plants were 2.12 MGD, with maximum of 2.37 MGD. The rolling 12-month average loss of 12.8%. The total amount of water pumped in May 2008 per plant was: Ocmulgee – 60 MG; Stewart – 6 MG. The average wastewater sprayed at the Bucksnort Ranch LAS was .123/.550 MGD with a maximum 7-day effluent of .206/.550 MGD.
- Kinard Mill/Towaliga Church/Evans/Ridgeway Roads – The extension on Kinard Mill/Towaliga Church/Evans/Ridgeway is well underway with installation complete on Kinard Mill up to Ridgeway and all of Towaliga Church Road & Evans Road. The crew is now working on Ridgeway back to High Falls Road.
- West Butts Transmission Main – The West Butts Transmission Main project began on June 16, 2008. The Authority is still working to acquire several small easements while waiting for appraisals to be completed.
- Walter Moore Road – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that the extension on Walter Moore Road will be starting soon.
Renewal of Sandy Creek Property Loan – The six-month interest only loan for the Sandy Creek Property has come due. After discussion of options, a motion was made by Mr. Harris to go with a ten-year loan at a 5.0% interest rate. The loan will balloon in five years. This will pay down about one-half of the $665,000 due on the property. This was seconded by Mr. McEwen and approved unanimously.
Credit Cards? – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that she has received information from several credit card companies offering from 1-5% cash back on purchases. She asked the board’s opinion of using such cards to lower expenses. She was given the go-ahead to compare various offers and use cards with a high degree of internal control.
Executive Session to Discuss Land & Personnel Issues – A motion was made by Mr. McEwen to go into Executive Session to discuss land and personnel issues. This was seconded by Mr. Norris and approved unanimously.
- A motion was made by come out of Executive Session and to vote on items discussed. This was seconded by Mr. Norris and approved unanimously.
- A motion was made by Mr. Norris to hire Justin Freeman, a high school student, for grass cutting at the Bucksnort LAS this summer. This was seconded by Mr. McEwen and approved unanimously.
- A motion was made by Mr. Norris to pay $6,000 per acre for the 3.19 acre access strip for the Sandy Creek property. This was seconded by Mr. McEwen and approved unanimously.
Financial Report – Ms. Seleb went over the financial summary for Water & Sewer Operations and SPLOST through May 2008. All operating funds are within budget. Capital recovery fee funds are behind in budgeted revenues, reflecting the overall sluggish economy. Board members also reviewed the combined balance sheet and income statement for all funds for the month of May 2008. A copy of these combined balance sheets and income statements are attached and made a part of these minutes.
Review Bills Paid – Board members reviewed check registers for the month of May 2008.
Adjourn – A motion was made by Mr. Harris to adjourn meeting at 8:00 p.m. This was seconded by Mr. Norris and approved unanimously.