Call to Order – Chairman White called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. Board members present were J. B. White, Harvey Norris, Bob Harris, Wesley Keber & Burt Jones; staff members present were Marcie Seleb & Joyce Hosey.
Opening Prayer – Mr. Norris opened the meeting with a prayer.
Approval of Minutes from Previous Meetings – Mr. Harris made a motion to dispense with the reading of the minutes from the December 8, 2009 meeting and approve the same. This was seconded by Mr. Keber and approved unanimously.
Extension Request from Isaac Head Road – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that Jeff Stewart was able to get seven persons to sign a petition for a water extension on Isaac Head Road. This equals 8.8 taps per mile. Ms. Seleb asked that the Authority accept the petition and put on the priority list accordingly. A copy of the petition is attached and made a part of these minutes.
Consider Georgia Environmental Facilities Authority (GEFA) Projects – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that the FY 2010 appropriation for the Federal Revolving Loan Allocation to Georgia will include $31 million for water and $34 million for waste water. This appears to be about one-half of FY 2009 Stimulus Funding, but may be allocated as in FY 2009 with 70% being “forgivable loans.” Both the submission of a project list to GEFA and a short time for the beginning of construction are essential to funding.
Ms. Seleb advised the Board of potential projects:
- Elevated Water Tank for North-West Butts – The Authority needs an elevated tank in North-West Butts even in a no-growth economy, at an estimated cost of $700,000 – $900,000.
- Sewer to East Side of I-75 on Hwy. 16 – This is the only completely unserved side of local interchanges and will require an estimated $800,000 – $1,000,000 to cover from the Interstate to near Colwell Road.
- Sewer to West Side of I-75 on Hwy. 16 – The sewer only exists at the lowest point and will require an estimated $500,000 – $625,000 to cover from the I-75 to the existing manhole 4,000 feet to the West.
- Sewer to North West Side of I-75 on Hwy. 36 – This is a smaller project with variable costs and could easily be funded in steps by developers as the economy picks up.
- Installations of Last Spray Fields at Bucksnort LAS – The plan for this project is ready to go at an estimated cost of $600,000, but is not needed at the present time.
A motion was made by Mr. Keber to submit a list of projects to GEFA. This was seconded by Mr. Norris and approved unanimously. Mr. White abstained from the vote.
Review Tentative Layout for Sewer at Hwy. 16 Interchange – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that she is coordinating with the Board of Commissioners on a tentative layout for sewer at the Hwy. 16 interchange. She is meeting with representatives of the County and the Georgia Department of Transportation to see if anything can be pinned down, as the overlay district requires frontage roads on both sides of I-75 at least 850 feet outside of the interstate right of way. A copy of the interchange overlay map is attached and made a part of these minutes.
Consider Revised Tap Fees for Large Sized Meters – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that she proposes that a revision in tap fees be made for meters larger than two-inches. A chart showing current and proposed tap fees is attached and made a part of these minutes.
Ms. Seleb proposed that a $2,500 fee to cover the Authority’s labor and equipment, plus actual material cost for the meter, vault and connection piping with the Capital Recovery Fees remaining unchanged. The current fee schedule can result in a net loss to the Authority due to fluctuations in material cost. The new schedule would also simplify calculations.
A motion was made by Mr. Norris to revise tap fees for larger meters. This was seconded by Mr. Keber and approved unanimously.
Update on In-House Projects
- West Ball Road – The West Ball Road extension is still on schedule as the Authority’s next in-house project with installation to begin January 19, 2009.
- Systemwide Flush Completed in December – The systemwide flush is completed, with the east side of the county around the lake being the most difficult to clear.
- System Maintenance – The crew continues to do valve and hydrant marking, valve exercising, hydrant flow marking, as well as continuing to change out and rebuild old meters. The crew will be cleaning out the sludge lagoons at the Burford Plant. The meter reader will begin the use of a new handheld meter device this month.
- Riverview Sewer – The blasting for Riverview Park Sewer that was scheduled for December has been rescheduled for the last week in January due to the blasting contractor not being available.
Operation Statistics – Ms. Seleb went over the water and sewer statistics for the month of December 2009. Water billing was up $31,000 from November at $192,538, with a customer base of 5,200. Sewer billing for December was up $3,000 from November at $29,096 with a customer base of 126.
The average daily water pumped to the Authority, Jackson and Jenkinsburg from the Ocmulgee and Stewart plants were 2.1 MGD, with a maximum of 2.4 MGD. The rolling 12-month average loss is 11.6%. The total amount of water pumped in December 2009 per plant was: Ocmulgee – 57 MG; Stewart – 5 MG. The average wastewater sprayed at the Bucksnort Ranch LAS was .253/.550 MGD with a maximum 7-day effluent of .319/.550 MGD. A copy of these statistics is attached and made a part of these minutes.
Colwell Road Interconnection Main – Ms. Seleb advised the Board that the interconnection main would be located on Georgia Department of Corrections property from Colwell Road to I-75 at a cost of $50,000 to do the Interstate bore. She is having a survey drawn up to get started, but the project cannot be bid until an easement or a revocable license agreement has been obtained from the Department of Corrections. A copy of this map is attached and made a part of these minutes.
Financial Report – Ms. Seleb went over the financial summary for Water & Sewer Operations and SPLOST through December 2009. A copy of the financial summaries, as well as combined balance sheets and income statements is attached and made a part of these minutes.
Review Bills Paid – Board members reviewed check registers and credit card statements for the month of December 2009. A copy of these check registers is attached and made a part of these minutes.
Adjourn – A motion was made by Mr. Jones to adjourn meeting at 7:00 p.m. This was seconded by Mr. Norris and approved unanimously.